Monday, September 17, 2012

Sweet Home California

Last week, Dave and I jumped on a plane and flew to my hometown in Southern California.  I haven't been home since Brooke's Baby Shower, which was about a year and a half ago (how does time pass by so quickly??!!).  We stayed at my grandparents' house, a place I've been visiting since I was a little girl.  It brought back such happy memories-- my sister and I used to spend long weekends there as children.  My grandparents took us on picnics, taught us how to ice skate, and planned many other weekend adventures.  Everything revolved around us, and now, as an adult, I'm so grateful for the time we shared.  We didn't watch television at their house, so we ended up playing long (and very competitive!) card games into the evenings.  Some of the best memories with my grandparents involve sitting around the kitchen table, eating ice cream, and playing cards. 
 
My entire family flew into town to celebrate my Grandpa's life.  My sister, her husband, and 3 month old baby(!!!) flew in from Florida; my parents flew in from Indianapolis.  We came in from Philadelphia.  Grandpa passed away recently at the age of 92, and was in fantastic shape up until the end.  It was important to him that we hold a small, private service-- nothing fancy.  So, that's what we did.  The "party", as we called it, wasn't sad.  But instead, it was happy.  My cousins and I shared memories of him (a crazy character if you ever knew one) and looked at old photos.  We ate take-out food off of the good china, used Grandma's best silver, and we drank wine.  Here are a few snapshots of the happy trip...  
 
 
boarding the plane in Philadelphia /
Hello, California!  The view from our seat as we descended.


Grandma has a green thumb, check out her ten foot hedges! /
her Meyer lemon tree produces lemons year round
 

going through old photos for the party, I found this precious shot of my dad and uncle at Echo Park, late 1950s / As a child, Grandma was given a different tea cup and saucer every year for her birthday.  This stunning collection is a result of that.  Wow!
 
 
On east coast time, Dave and I made a 6am trip to the Home Depot (Dave planned on doing some repair work at Grandma's house).  My goodness!!  Who knew they sold flowers like this at the Home Depot?!  Certainly not in Pennsylvania.
 
 
I purchased buckets full of white roses and white hydrangeas to decorate Grandma's house


The dining room centerpiece I created with 36 white roses and Grandma's vintage crystal compote.  With a block of floral foam, this arrangement couldn't have been easier.


picture boards for Grandpa
 
 
Meeting my nephew, Mickey, for the very first time-- magic!  He's incredibly perfect and I think I cried for an hour.  He's so happy and beautiful!


I couldn't keep my hands off of him.  And, he smells so good.  I love being Aunt Kelly.

 

here he is with Uncle Dave.
 
 
and here, with his GREAT Grandmas.  :)
 
 
 
While in California, I also managed to spend some quality time with my best friend, Brooke.  That girl had me laughing so hard, I cried.  Is there anything better in the world than a belly laugh with good girlfriends?  Nothing better.  I'm so grateful for my people.  :)


Now that I'm back, I have a few posts lined up for the week.  An update on our cobblestone driveway  is in order.  Also, I made a trip to New York City last week to visit two of my best friends.  I'll share some photos of that adventure as well.  Happy Monday!
 
 
xoxo,
Kelly
 
 
...


 

 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

TJ said...

Kelly, this is the sweetest and best post ever. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the design related posts (thanks to you we discovered Nellie Stevens Holly, and planted 31 trees, glad that's over). But this post melted my heart. So special.

Kelly Robson said...

Thank you, TJ! What a sweet comment-- you made my day. It was a great week, spent with wonderful people. Must do that more often. :)

xx
Kelly

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

What a wonderful post! I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather, he sounds like an amazing man, but I'm glad you got to participate in celebrating his life. I'm sure he is at peace knowing how blessed you are because of the genuine, caring people in your life!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...