Monday, October 19, 2009

Before & After: Vintage Spool Table



We found this amazing spool table over the summer, and it was in absolutely horrible condition.  The "before" pictures really don't do it justice.  If you touched it, it felt like it was about to collapse.  It had nicks and scrapes everywhere, and it was covered in dirt.  Covered. 

But, we couldn't pass it up...  I mean, look at those legs!






We took it outside and literally hosed it down.  Filled the major gashes with wood filler, sanded, primed, and then sanded again and primed again.  Then, I sprayed the entire thing with black satin paint. 

I love the way it turned out!













Now, maybe someday, I can get myself those abacus spool-style barstools.


...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

brunch at the beach said...

Wow that sounds like a lot of work--but seems like it was definitely worth it! its gorgeous!

-Jane @ http://brunchatthebeach.blogspot.com

lady elle said...

this is so gorgeous! we are in the process of a complete apt makeover, seeing all of these amazing projects during the planning stages makes me even more excited!

Megan said...

This is a gorgeous upcycle; I love your blog! Hope you'll post more of your projects!

Green Girl said...

wow! really great find and a successful project! that table is gorgeous, love the legs:)

Tina said...

you did a fantastic rehab job on that table--just adorable. found your blog tonight via your etsy shop...such fun, I'm now following from my vintage blog.

happy hunting!
tina

Jennifer said...

love it!

Siiri said...

Hey Kelly, Love this project, especially because I have a nearly identical one at home waiting to be upcycled. Here's the link to the before's on my design blog: http://decorazzi.blogspot.com/2009/08/summerfall-diy-projects.html

I'm looking for any sanding tricks or advice you have? Or is it just lots of time and elbow grease? (I keep thinking someone will have found the answer to endless sanding)

Kelly Robson said...

Hi Siiri!

Yes, lots of sanding! But, an electric sander helps...

Here was the deal with our table: there were nails face-nailed into the top, so we had to countersink those and then fill the resulting dip with wood filler. That way, we were able to create a smooth countertop. It was about to fall over so, we had to reinforce the wobbly parts. We filled the major gashes with wood filler. Then we sanded... and, sanding the spool legs really sucks. I'm sorry! But, it's worth it!

The wood filler makes a huge difference once you sand it smooth. A really GOOD primer will help a lot. I cannot stress the primer enough! I use Krylon spray primer (we used the color gray since we were going to paint it black, but it also comes in white).

Hope this helps and good luck!

xx
Kelly

plaisirs simples said...

love me some spool tables! looks great!

Catherine said...

I so love spool furniture! Your table is beautiful! I've been keeping my eye out for piece to add to our house but no luck yet. I just love their old-fashioned country charm. xoTrina

Stagner Family said...

Love this table! I am so inspired by all of your DIY projects! And I just love your blog- found it through your shop. Quick question... and possible a silly one... when you say spray are you using spray paint or a paint sprayer? Shelley

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...