Monday, October 25, 2010

Fall Decorating with Eddie Ross

Eddie, showing us how to make everything more beautiful.

About a week and a half ago, Eddie Ross came to Philadelphia to host a "Fall Decorating" event at Terrain.  The invitation advertised that we would "learn the stylist's secrets to fall entertaining" and "with the help of Eddie, each participant will be able to design, create, and take home a planted heirloom arrangement."  Oh, and the kicker: "wine and appetizers will be provided."  Music to my ears!  Sounds like the perfect way to spend a Thursday night to me!   So, I called up my friend Sheila and we booked our tickets for Thursday night.

Before I go any further, I want to brag about my friend Sheila Salvitti.  Not only is she hysterically funny, smart, beautiful (and a fan of interior design!), but she is a total superstar.  This year, Realtor Magazine included Sheila among the "Top 30 Under 30."  That's right.  And, of course she made the June cover.


So, if you're looking for a house in our neck of the woods, call Sheila Salvitti.  The girl knows houses.

Ok, so where was I?  Oh right, fall decorating.  Sheila and I braved torrential rains, high winds, and Philadelphia traffic (arg!) to get our butts to Terrain.  When we got there, it was clear that the journey was well worth it.  First of all, let me just say that Terrain is a complete wonderland.  A home & garden sparkly wonderland, created by the Urban Outfitters/Anthropologie geniuses.  As a new Philadelphian, I had never been there, so the experience (although a bit soggy) was magical.  Take a look at the room that they had set up for us...


Eddie gave a fabulous presentation on how to use pumpkins and gourds more creatively when decorating for fall.  For example, a hollowed out pumpkin isn't just for jack-o-lanterns.  It could be used to serve soup (love this idea), or even crudite.  Here are some examples of what Eddie has done in the past...

    

Isn't this wonderful?  With a little extra effort, you can make a veggie plate look like this! 
And, impress everyone.

One awesome tip from Eddie: when you carve out your pumpkin--whether it's for food, flowers, or even a candle--make an effort so that the edges look thin and crisp (rather than chunky and thick).  Then, just before you put it into use, submerge it in 5 parts water, 1 part bleach.  This will kill any bacteria and ultimately keep your pumpkin (that you took all that time to carve!) looking great for a whole lot longer. 


After the presentation, Eddie talked about dressing your dinner table.  He had set up a stunning example using brass candelabras, mini-pumpkin candle holders and vintage china (that he had bought that day!)...




I love the simple burlap tablecloth, mixed with vintage brass candelabras, brass servingware, and modern glassware...


After we had mixed and mingled, we got down to creating our own pumpkin centerpieces.  I used sedum (one of my fall favorites), hydrangea, and chocolate cosmos mixed with lemon scented geranium.  And a healthy glass of white wine.  :)



me, working the pumpkin flower arrangement




Eddie suggested that we monogram our pumpkins (the man thinks of everything).  So, I used a simple skewer to trace out the letter "R"...  then, with a peeler I carved it out...




a fun trick!


Here is Sheila working on her centerpiece... She used hydrangea, red berries, and of course (our favorite) lemon scented geranium leaves.



This event really felt like a party-- the room was gorgeous and there was such a great mix of people in attendance.  Obviously, it was terrific to finally meet Eddie and Jaithan in person, they were completely lovely.  That goes without saying.  But I also met Amy, a friend of Eddie and Jaithan's (who was in town on her way to New England) and Dirke, who assembled her centerpiece across from me.  I often bothered these two gals with camera questions (as I've said before on this blog, I could really benefit from a photography class).  Thanks for the help, ladies!

party picture of me, Eddie, Jaithan, and Sheila (picture taken by Amy)


After the Terrain event, the group of us (Sheila and I, Eddie, Jaithan, and Amy) ran over to The Blue Pear for an AMAZING meal.  The food there is truly divine.  It was a night of great food, great conversation, and lots of laughs.  I hope that this group makes it back to Philly very soon!

 
Amy and I modeling our new Leigh Ann Barnes cuffs.
(who also makes the most beautiful handbags, you must see)



Thank you Eddie and Jaithan for hosting such a fabulous workshop, and sharing your expertise with all of us.  You both are so talented, down to earth, and completely fun to be around.  I loved meeting you (and Amy!) and hope you all come back to Philadelphia soon.


Here is my pumpkin at home...




...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Anonymous said...

Loved the carved initial, arrangements w/ succulents,hopsacking tablecloths. All of it. this year in my little pumpkin patch (15 pumpkins) I carved things like welcome, love and grandchildrens names. The pumpkins did the beautiful natural colored writing for me as the scar healed. xoCO

Jenny at LGN said...

Kelly! Sheila told me about this awesome night and I was SO incredibly jealous! Looked like a fabulous night.

We should all get together soon!

xx

colleen said...

I was there, too! I had a great time. I subscribe to your blog, and it would have been great to meet you. I wrote a recap of the event on my blog. Are you going to the Design*Sponge event at Terrain in November?

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I love reading your blog! I've been dying to find out what that little flower is to the right of the hydrangeas in the pre-initial picture of your arrangement. I've seen you use them in your bridal bouquet and also in other posts, but have no idea what it is. Thanks a million!

Kiki said...

You and Eddie could be brother and sister!

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

Looks great, and like a lot of fun. I hosted a party at my farm this weekend and I used a cinderella pumpkin to hold green hydrageas and lilies.

bryn alexandra said...

That looks SOO fun! Thank you so much for re-capping. I love the monogram pumpkin idea.

Kelly Robson said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Anon- What a great idea to carve your grandkids names into the pumpkins! I bet they loved it!

Jenny- we were talking about you! We def need to get together sometime soon. I know you're in NYC, but let's meet up next time I'm in the city!

Colleen- I can't believe we were at the same event and didn't meet! Well, I'm glad you had as much fun as I did (and if you're like me, you don't want to throw your pumpkin away!).

Anon- I need to do a little recon work here. :)

Kiki- That is too funny, but very flattering, thank you!

Deanna- I'm off to check out your blog now! I bookmark it, by the way!


xx
Kelly

Kelly Robson said...

Bryn- isn't it a great idea? So simple and so cool. You could do the mini pumpkin candle holders with a monogram! The wheels are turning...

xoxo
Kelly

Michelle said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

how adorable. I have a friend who actually is 81 November 2. Her work such as the pumpkins ...would blow you away.
She's an artist to say the least. She used to design here in Westerville.The pumpkins remind me of her work.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing night! So happy to have met you. I am now TOTALLY obsessed with your shop! :)
Best,
Amy

Nuha said...

I love the way the arrangements turned out! How cute and classy!

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Gorgeous gathering! Thanks for sharing the event with us!

RLG said...

LOVE the picture of the four of you. Hello, beautiful people. How cute is Eddie??? Fun post! xoxo

Liz said...

Kelly, your arrangement is beautiful! I'm very inspired for Thanksgiving centerpieces now. And I love Eddies pumpkin preservation tip. Our pumpkins in Texas don't last as long as this Yankee is used to due to the warmer temps. I bet that will help a lot! Thanks for sharing the night with us!

Erika Ward said...

What a magical night. I followed(on Eddie's blog) the progression of the room he prepared for you all that night. It turned out fantastic!

Great job on your pumpkin and photography! Sheila looks like she enjoyed herself as well. Nothing like having a great friend to tag along with you on your adventures!

Jennifer said...

looks so fun! the man can always take it to the next level -- amazes me!

Amy said...

Looks like it was a great night, Eddie & Jaithan are SO sweet and such a blast to be around, it's always nice to see them! And to leave with a beautiful arrangement as well, what fun! *Amy

Sheila said...

WAY too much fun! I definitely should have asked you to carve my monogram. HA!

Jan said...

Hi! I just found your blog via Bryn Alexandra! I went to the terrain event on friday night. I think you went thurs? Had a blast. Glad to have found another local blogger!

Anonymous said...

I know Dirke! We used to call her Little Martha.

Anonymous said...

I know Dirke. We used to call her Little Martha!

Petra said...

I love those chairs! Kind of Tolix meets chicken wire! Do you know where they are from / what they are called? Were they comfortable?

Anonymous said...

Just revisited this post, remembering what a fabulous time we had with you two! Can't wait to see you again soon!

xo
Eddie + Jaithan

Gretchen O. said...

Looks like an amazing time...they are so much fun! AND that you went to dinner too, I bet that was a blast.

Happy New Year!

--Gretchen O.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...