Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sweet Savannah!

A few weeks ago, I mentioned an interest in travelling to Savannah, Georgia.  Well folks, I booked the trip!  I am SO excited to be taking a REAL LIVE VACATION.  For my husband and I, this will be our first "just for fun" vacation since our honeymoon.

In one week, we will be walking on these magical streets...




And, we're staying at this sweet bed & breakfast...



I can't wait.  We will be in Savannah for a couple of days, and then we'll drive up to Charleston, South Carolina.  We'll tour Charleston for one day before heading back to Philadelphia.  I've never been to this part of the country and I cannot wait experience it.


So, on my list of things to do:
  • walk through Forsyth Park (which happens to be steps away from our B&B)
  • tour the historic district (perhaps tour some historic homes, like the Mercer Williams House)
  • maybe visit a plantation (like this one)
  • tour the downtown design district (and stop into every possible antique store!)
  • possibly take a trip to Tybee Island to see the lovely beaches and lighthouses
And, we'll eat a lot.  Because, we're really good at that.  :)



Have you been to Savannah?


UPDATE:  Thank you ALL for your fabulous Savannah recommendations!  There are so many things to do, places to see, and restaurants to visit... I hope we can fit it all into our two day trip!!  Thank you, thank you.  We will take these recommendations with us.

...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

courtney said...

How fun! I've lived in Savannah, and live in Charleston now...and my love of both cities started with a trip just like this! There are some great antique & home decor shops in both Charleston & Savannah (if you're looking for suggestions, you should definitely visit Paris Market and @Home Vintage General on Broughton St in Savannah), and more importantly both cities have plenty of amazing food (try FIG in Charleston).

RLG said...

Sounds incredible. I can't wait to hear all about it. One of the guys I went to high school with runs a ghost tour company there. They say Savannah is haunted. ;). xoxo

Unknown said...

My partner and I are planning a very similar trip - I'm trying to work in New Orleans as well!

Brown Paper Packages said...

When you are in Charleston you must eat at Hominy Grill! I still dream about the great Southern fare (sweet tea, hop n' john, fried green tomatoes, buttermilk pie).

Kathy said...

I grew up in Savannah and live on a island just south of Savannah now. If you visit Wormslow plantation, you will be just around the corner from Isle of Hope. Be sure to visit Bluff drive on Isle of Hope. If its a pretty day try to park your car and walk down bluff drive, you wont be disappointed, magnificent old homes along the intercoastal waterway. Jane Coslick
transformed a house on bluff drive and lots of charming cottages on Tybee Island. I hope you get to visit Tybee Island also. Hope you have a wonderful Savannah trip.

Anonymous said...

Have so much fun!! A vacation well deserved for you and your husband. Charleston is the best! I've never been to Savannah but I'm sure it's gorgeous.

Alison said...

I'm getting my Master's degree in Historic Preservation, and as a student living in Georgia we've had our obligatory trip to Savannah. I have to say that Savannah is amazing and a wonderful place to explore while walking around on foot. As a preservation student, I've probably been to every house museum in town, and from personal experience I would be prepared for the rude docents and rush through at the Mercer-Williams House. Other amazing houses to visit would be the Owens-Thomas House by architect William Jay,the Champion-McAlpin House, and the Green-Mildrem House. I would also recommend visiting Tybee Island and on the drive out there stopping by Bonaventure cemetery and Fort Pulaski.

Have fun on your trip! Maybe I'll see you in Charleston if you see a bunch of students walking around with camera's and taking notes.

Dru said...

I lived at Fort Stewart for two years, my oldest two were born there. Savannah is charming. AND the best restaurant ever is there, Elizabeth's on 37th, do not miss. James Beard award winner, our fav, and my folks fav when they visited, and my mom is a gourmet cook and they have traveled and lived all over and are big foodies. Don't miss it.

Susan said...

Exciting! I know that B & B, it's fabulous! Don't forget Paris Market...ugh I miss it! You will have an amazing time...

Susan said...

Oh, and I second Dru...Elizabeth's on 37th is incredible, one of our best meals!

Helen Young said...

I love Savannah and Charleston - I'm from Atlanta so they are sort of "at my back door-" only 4 hours away. You will love Savannah. I went with my husband last fall (it was our 20th anniversary) for 5 days. You will definitely want to go to Tybee Island. If I can find my trip notes I'll send you some thoughts on restaurants and also historic houses to visit. I made my poor hubby visit so many houses... Take a paid walking tour of the historic district- it's worth it.

ashley sullivan said...

savannah and charleston have been on my list for so long! i can't wait to hear all the details, and hopefully plan a trip soon!

Comeca Jones said...

Lucky you I love historical tours.

LivingVintage.etsy said...

Cool. There's also a tea plantation down there that's open to vistors. Only at certain times of the year though if I remember correctly.

Danielle said...

Hi! I have lived in Savannah my entire life (32 years). It is a beautiful city. Your B&B is gorgeous and you should really enjoy it. Courtney recommended Paris Market and @Home. @Home has unfortunately closed but you definitely should hit up the Whitaker St design district. It is just a few blocks from your B&B. One Fish Two Fish is great. You should also check out the Habersham Antiques Market. Great stuff, great prices. If you make it to Tybee you should eat at the Breakfast Club. The owner helped cater JFK Jr's wedding. Elizabeth's is great and if you are looking for a local seafood dive try Despositos in Thunderbolt. I think it is much better than The Crab Shack which is what everyone will recommend to a tourist. Jazz'd downtown is a great tapas bar and if you enjoy beer try the Distillery, awesome selection.

The Benson Bungalow said...

OMG! I hope I commented saying that The Gastonian is where my husband and I eloped because we just love/loved it. Have a wonderful time!

Ms. Manor said...

I am a fellow Philadelphian... never been to Savannah but Charleston is my absolute favorite place! I go back every summer to stay on one of the surrounding islands (Sullivan's Island, Isle of Palms, Folly Beach). There is a great fabric/furniture store in Mt. Pleasant (20 minutes outside Charleston) called GDC Home, if you go, also check out Celadon. Charleston is amazing and I'd move there in a heartbeat! Enjoy!

cookie said...

I visited Charleston over 10 years ago...my most vivid memory of food was the "she-crab" soup.
Beware: the first few spoonsfuls are intoxicatingly rich and sweet.
Share a cup or a bowl with your husband and avoid a tummy ache!
Enjoy!

Doug Davis said...

I've actually never been to Savannah (I know, I know, it's not that far away) but I LOVE Charleston! Almost went to College of Charleston. What an amazing town...have a GREAT trip!

bethsheba said...

Oh I am just so jealous , what a Beautiful place to
visit. Savanna Georgia, Ever since I started watching
Paula Dean on the food network and she would talk
about how Gorgeous Savanna is I have had dreams
of one day visiting their. Have a wonderful vacation !

Alicia said...

I'll chime in as well about Elizabeths on 37th. Foodies dream. My godchildren were 7 & 10 at the time when we went & literally they made them whatever they wanted in their perfection way.
FIG in Charleston...to die for. & you must stop into Muse as well & see Matt the bartender & the tiniest but finest bar in Charleston. Tell him I said hello.

Anonymous said...

Too funny! My parents live there and I am heading out in a week and a half. Have a wonderful trip!
Best,
Amy

Jen M said...

I love both cities...but have to say that you must come visit Beaufort on your trip up to Charleston.. It is the true heart of the Lowcountry and is beautiful!! Spend the night at the Rhett House Inn and have dinner at Breakwater - you won't be disappointed!

Unknown said...

I live in Charleston and it is the city to see and taste. Architecture and plantations are beautiful while the food is delicious. tip: do NOT go to Paula Deen's in Sav and Hyams in Chas.
Slightly North of Broad is my fav along with Fig, Carolinas- crab cakes, Hominy Grill for lunch.
Have fun and enjoy the sights!

Tonya said...

When you are in Charleston be sure to go to the Battery, Rainbow Row,
the Visitors Center (which used to be an old train station). I swear if you really listen you can hear voices from the past waiting on the train. You have to go to the new restaurant "Husk", GDS store, visit the antique stores on King and Meeting Street, and drive across the Ravanel Bridge to Mt. Pleasant and Sullivans Island. Downtown Charleston is one of the most unique places you will every visit for food, history, architecture, and gardens. Have fun!!!!

Megan said...

Have a great trip- you'll love it! When we visited Savannah I loved Vintage General, The Paris Market and The Savannah Bee Company for fun gifts. Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...