Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Perfectly Imperfect


Thank you, Courtney, for leading me in the direction of this fabulous interview.  Balustrade & Bitters interviewed Schuyler Samperton, and the pictures are fabulous (duh), not to mention, the interview is interesting the entire way through.  I love the way it was composed...  like a conversation.  Very casual.  And, I love the way Schuyler Samperton approaches a project.  Like this...
CR: What is your sort of forte with a job? Is it textiles, is it color?


A: Well personally, I love color and I love layering. I love fabrics, I think that's my favorite thing to work with. You know, whether it be the curtains or the upholstery or great pillows. I love finding things that are unusual. I do a lot of sourcing of antique textiles. Because I think that really brings a lot of character to a space. It makes it feel that there's some sort of individuality going on. One of my pet peeves is when something looks like everything is from a showroom. I don't like things to be too perfectly matched or symmetrical. I like things to look at little bit off. And I know decorators always say, "It creates tension", but tension to me sort of implies something that might be a little off putting. To me it's more interesting to kind of see something that you wouldn't expect. Like in a bedroom, I don't need to have two identical bedside tables and two identical lamps. I don't need that sort of symmetry personally. I don't bring that to my projects. I just think it looks more kind of relaxed and cool if it's not too matchy.

So, go read the interview HERE.


















...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

ashlina said...

oh wow. i seriously love that collaged bathroom. fantastic.

Rachel said...

thanks for sharing this interview:) what a very fitting title!

Jennifer said...

I love Schuyler!

Style Court said...

Kelly -- Glad you share my enthusiasm. And I so agree with you about the interview. No slow parts and that's not always easy to achieve :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...