Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Perfectly Imperfect


Thank you, Courtney, for leading me in the direction of this fabulous interview.  Balustrade & Bitters interviewed Schuyler Samperton, and the pictures are fabulous (duh), not to mention, the interview is interesting the entire way through.  I love the way it was composed...  like a conversation.  Very casual.  And, I love the way Schuyler Samperton approaches a project.  Like this...
CR: What is your sort of forte with a job? Is it textiles, is it color?


A: Well personally, I love color and I love layering. I love fabrics, I think that's my favorite thing to work with. You know, whether it be the curtains or the upholstery or great pillows. I love finding things that are unusual. I do a lot of sourcing of antique textiles. Because I think that really brings a lot of character to a space. It makes it feel that there's some sort of individuality going on. One of my pet peeves is when something looks like everything is from a showroom. I don't like things to be too perfectly matched or symmetrical. I like things to look at little bit off. And I know decorators always say, "It creates tension", but tension to me sort of implies something that might be a little off putting. To me it's more interesting to kind of see something that you wouldn't expect. Like in a bedroom, I don't need to have two identical bedside tables and two identical lamps. I don't need that sort of symmetry personally. I don't bring that to my projects. I just think it looks more kind of relaxed and cool if it's not too matchy.

So, go read the interview HERE.


















...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

ashlina {the decorista} said...

oh wow. i seriously love that collaged bathroom. fantastic.

Green Girl said...

thanks for sharing this interview:) what a very fitting title!

Jennifer said...

I love Schuyler!

Style Court said...

Kelly -- Glad you share my enthusiasm. And I so agree with you about the interview. No slow parts and that's not always easy to achieve :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...