Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Portrait's Worth A Thousand Words!

The new issue of Rue Magazine was released this week, and one of my favorite images included this fabulous bathroom...




Love the wallpaper, the shiny fixtures, the monogrammed towels... and, that portrait in the window??!  I love it.  It's completely unexpected-- an antique portrait in the bathroom?  But, then it's placed over the window.  It creates privacy, I guess.  And, I think it's sort of great.  What do you think?

All this talk about antique portraits caused me to reivist my inspiration files...  Our bed & breakfast in Savannah was filled with antique portraits.  But, they were placed in more traditional locations...


like over a fireplace...


or, above a bed.


An antique portrait brings a great feeling of history to a space.  Do you agree?  I love the old ornate frames, the dark patina of the canvas, and the overall sense of "formality."  And obviously, I'm drawn to this look because I found a whole bunch of rooms in my inspiration files with a portrait motif...

via Domino Magazine




image found on From The Right Bank


image found on My Notting Hill




home of Tom Dolby & Drew Frist, via Lonny Magazine


via Cottage Living


home of Jenna Lyons


image via Eric Piaseki


Schuyler Samperton




home of Tom Dolby & Drew Frist, via Lonny Magazine




source unknown



I wish we had a fancy portrait in our family, something that was passed down through the generations.  But alas, my family does not possess such treasures (we come from European immigrants who settled in the United States in the early 20th century-- I guess stashing a portrait with your carry-on was out of the question).  But, I would like to own one someday. 

What about you, do you own any fancy portraits?


...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Natalie said...

I own a few around my house, and like to group them among more modern art and photos. I have also found some cheap reproductions of old portraits at places like Salvation Army and Goodwill. Occasionally, you will find an original there too. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the portrait-as-privacy-screen, love the wallpaper, the fixtures. . . but please tell me that is not carpet in the bathroom, right?

Julie H. said...

The wallpaper in the first photo is my favorite. Not sure about the art over the window, but I love natural light.

Received my platter (etsy purchase) in the mail this week. I LOVE it. It's perfect!

Anonymous said...

I love portraits and think this one looks good in the bathroom but I would not hang one there bc steam and humidity from bath/shower is not good for art.

Chedva @Rooms and Words said...

I couldn't agree more! I think they bring history, but also a certain goth quirkiness (which I LOVE), especially if the portraits are of complete strangers.
xo,
Chedva

John About Town said...

That portrait in the bathroom is fabulous - I stalked it on 1stdibs last year, but sadly it sold shortly after I found it. I love its use in the bathroom, but it looks really silly covering the window.

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=420236

I adore portrait painting. Did you see the Tim Walker pictorial in the new W? I just blogged about it - stunning!

Ms. Bright said...

Yes, Bailey's bath is stunning...I love old portraits in unexpected places. I just wish they came with bios on the backs of them!!

kelleyp said...

i have two portraits in my home. got them when a department store here in Phoenix was getting rid of their props. no value but i love the look. people always ask who the portraits are of. great conversation pieces.

Sarah Jane said...

Hmmm...interesting! I love "unexpected" things as you put it! I have no old portraits, but I'm inspired to add one to a collage I've been building in my head.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...