Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Clear Switch: Forbes & Lomax

We need to have our entire house rewired sometime within the next year ("within the next year" is code for: whenever we can afford the huge price tag of rewiring our whole house).  We have knob & tube wiring throughout, and I have proof.  Remember this?  Anyway, since I have severely unrealistic expectations (I bought this house, didn't I?) and expensive taste, these Forbes & Lomax switches are HIGH on the new electrical wishlist.  Oh sure, they're pricey...  but, what the hell?  Just throw it in with the price of the new electrical.

Ok, let's get to it.  Forbes & Lomax is a company based in London.  They reproduce light switches-- inspired by the fabulous designs of the 1930s-- in finishes like unlaquered brass (my fave), nickel silver, antique bronze, and stainless steel.  Their products feature a clear acrylic backplate (with no screws in sight!), that allow the wallpaper or painted wall to show through!  Thus, further showcasing the adorable toggle switch.  I mean, did you ever think that you could feel this way about a light switch?





They even have dimmers...



Maybe upstairs, we'll go with the antique bronze?



Or, the unlacquered brass?



They were also used in Carrie & Big's apartment in Sex & The City 2.  See it there in the background?



It's all about the details, people.

Happy Hump Day!

...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Catherine said...

Those are great! We had to re-wire too and ugh, such an expense. But like all the not-so-fun parts of remodeling (I would have rather spent the money on art, antiques, furniture, diamonds!!!), it's worth it in the end (I'm thinking safety and capacity issues).
xoTrina

Susan said...

So fabulous, I did not know about them!! Wow. They are on my wish list now too!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh I know I love these! I drooled over them for awhile but the cost of rewiring the whole darn house pushed them right off our option table. I hope you get them! :)

A House and Home said...

Love them. Kind of makes you wonder why you need more than just a switch?

Milk and Honey Home said...

When I have ordered unique switchplates (from Anthro or elsewhere), I am always so happy I did. They are like jewelry for the room and so easy to clean. What a great resource, thanks.

Nicole said...

I love these!

RLG said...

Wow, Kelly, and I thought I had expensive taste. LOL These are gorgeous. I've just started to take notice of unlacquered brass (love), although we have antique bronze throughout our house (Rejuvenation). It's nice b/c it doesn't show fingerprints. Huge plus around here. xoxo

romateamo said...

OMG! These are so beautiful. But there's NO WAY I could ever convince my fiance to pay for them!

Jessie said...

This is a much better and more glamorous way to use a light switch! Beats trying to paint it! Thanks for sharing, I have to work this into my house!

OldHouseNut said...

Wow, gorgeous. Now I want them.

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

My pet peeve is glaring switch plate covers that become the focal point in a room because the stand out from the wall. These would totally solve the problem, and my painters would be estatic that they didn't have to paint all the switch plate covers! Wonderful! These will become part of all my design packages from now on. Thanks for the intro.

nelya said...

Those are some of the best looking products I have ever seen. And that unlacquered brass, oh my!

Aimee@ the Functional Space said...

Gorgeous! (I can't believe I'm saying gorgeous to a light switch but they really are!!) Good luck with your electrical work.

Doug Davis said...

details, indeed! you know I'm on an unlacquered brass kick lately, love that one!

thoughtful day said...

Wow - these are amazing! And I thought my screwless backplates were chic...At least not until I saw these! I found your blog through Kevin Sharkey's {congrats on the mention!}

Living Livelier said...

Wow - never seen anything like those before... And great spot on the SATC set! Have a great weekend!
Deb

kelleyp said...

yummy. think i am in love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...