Monday, December 19, 2011

Mulled Wine



Have I talked about mulled wine on this blog before?  It's one of my favorite Christmas traditions.  I first made it for a Christmas party that I co-hosted (during my single years) living in Santa Monica.  My co-host (and foodie friend) Karen, suggested that we make it... and incidentally, it was a huge hit.  I've been hooked ever since.  There's just something about this warm, spicy wine that makes Christmas even more festive.  I've decided that I will make it every year. :)

There are a bunch of different ways to make mulled wine (and I'm sure that most versions are delicious-- it's pretty simple), but I like to make my Christmas mulled wine with brandy.  The brandy just makes it a little more interesting.  So, here's my recipe:


Robson Family Mulled Wine

1 bottle of red wine
1/3 - 1/2 cup of brandy
1 whole orange, zested and sliced
1/2 cup of sugar
7-10 whole cloves
a few cinnamon sticks
allspice, ginger, or nutmeg to taste


Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker or a large pot.  Heat on low until the mixture is steaming (do not boil!  This is bad).  I like to let it simmer for about 30 minutes, if not longer.  The sugar should be dissolved at this point, and all of the ingredients should have enough time to "mull" together.  Ladle into mugs or glasses and garnish with an orange slice and/or a cinnamon stick.  Listen to Christmas Carols, visit with friends and family, and then go back for a second glass! Enjoy Holiday Cheer all evening.


xoxo
Kelly



image from The Cooking Channel


...


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

oh my gosh, i want that mulling in my home RIGHT NOW. bet it smells amazebuckets!

Bethany
www.powellbrower.blogspot.com

victoria | vmac+cheese said...

I got gifted all this wine through work this year, and I know EXACTLY what I'm going to do with a few of those bottles!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...