Monday, September 26, 2011

Shades of Black!

An easy way to boost the drama in your home?  Switch out your regular white lampshades for black ones.  It's that easy.

Lonny Magazine


San Francisco showhouse


via Eddie Ross


home of Mark Badgley and James Mischka


via Country Living


via Celerie Kemble


via Lonny Magazine


I usually gravitate toward linen-covered shades.  They tend to feel a bit softer and I like seeing the warp and weft of the linen when the lamp is illuminated.  But if you want the dramatic feel that an opaque shade provides?  Paper shades are the way to go.  The opaque paper creates a black-out effect, and they're often times lined with a brighter material (gold, silver, etc).

Here are some great options:

black paper shade with white lining


black paper square cut shade


rectangular black shade


And, if you're interested in a little DIY action?  Try covering your existing lampshades in black fabric.  Here's an excellent tutorial on how to cover old shades in new fabric (and add trim!).


Happy Monday!

...







No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Ashley said...

It's the little details like a black shade that add such interest to a room. Great images!

Anonymous said...

i love black shades. I just scored two fabulous vintage lamps and I am IMPATIENTLY waiting on my new black linen/gold interior shades!
Great post! :)

Jennifer

Kristy @ I Design Love said...

That is a great tip! I love the black shades, they add such character. Super chic :)

Kristy
www.idesignlove.com

Juniper and York said...

Super chic! I've always loved black shades with brass lamps... Like the gorgeous one you featured that I've always lusted after in Eddie Ross' house!

Kelly Tirman said...

I LOVE Rusty's work (http://www.rustyreniers.com/) he is one of my favorite photographers. I have been trying to get him to do a guest post for me.

Love your blog and your name!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...