Saturday, September 5, 2009

Guest Room Headboard: Before and After



So, we did a little headboard DIY at my house. I found a (hideous) queen sized headboard for $20.00 at a thrift store, and with a little upholstery foam, batting, fabric and upholstery tacks, we created something a little better...

before...

after...







Just a few tips...

*Purchase a medium to soft upholstery foam.  I purchased the upholstery foam for $60.00 at JoAnn Fabrics. I knew the exact dimension that I needed and the gals there cut it for me.

*If you attempt to upholster an old wooden headboard with nailheads, make sure that you are nailing your nailheads into a FLAT surface. As you can see, the bed that I used has a curved frame... this made the nailhead process EXTREMELY frustrating. You have to get that angle just right to create a straight line.

...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Green Girl said...

this is a really wonderful project! that color looks lovely against the wall!

Jenny at LGN said...

Looks AWESOME, Kelly! Great job!!

I love long, productive weekends!!

Hope you're having a great one!!

:)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! You did a beautiful job!! Only your eye notices the imperfections---but it looks perfect to us. I've done a recent upholstered headboard project and I know how difficult the foam and curves can be to work with. I give you 2 thumbs up!!

bryn alexandra said...

That is so amazing!!! Please do tell where the bedspread is from? One of my favorite bedrooms I've seen in a while :)

kadler said...

That's so awesome! It looks amazing. You're very talented.

Also, love the color!

Kelly Robson said...

Thanks for the comments! The bedspread is a vintage crewel piece (from India). I had to have it when I saw it... but, I won't be keeping it for long. I think that I will list it on the site sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

Love it! What type of fabric did you use? Looks like linen.

Erin said...

awesome job kel. i LOVE it and may be ever so slightly jealous!

Kelly Robson said...

I actually used a Sunbrella fabric... I thought it might be more durable and stain resistant(and it was cheaper than my other options!).

Anonymous said...

What an amazing job! I have been thinking about tackling something like this for my own room and you've inspired me to try it out!

Elizabeth said...

It looks great!

Jennifer said...

dying over that crewel beadspread!

and the lamps. look just like some I lost on ebay recently ... hmm, wonder if they are ;)

Kate said...

Kel, you are so funny and creative! Only you would notice the little imperfections. This is GORGEOUS. I remember round 1 in college... definitely a step up!

Gina said...

Love it!

Unknown said...

i think it turned out great!!

carissa said...

this looks perfect! and that color!?! i am dying over that color!!

MK said...

Gorgeous headboard! And egad...look at that crewelwork spread! So lovely.

saracook said...

What was the name of the color of the fabric you used from sunbrella? The color is perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...