Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Papa


I don't like getting too personal on this blog, but I would love to share some pictures of my Papa, my mother's father. Yesterday, he passed away. So, I will be leaving for California to spend time with my family (be back in the shop on Tuesday). He lived a full life, and we plan on celebrating it this weekend. My Papa's parents were Norwegian immigrants who settled in Chicago; he grew up speaking Norwegian before learning English. My great-grandfather raised him, since his mom died when he was just a baby. My Papa was a soldier. He served in the Army during World War II (on the Pacific side, with an album full of pictures to prove it). He was a terrific chef, owning his own catering company, and then a restaurant. My grandmother and him were extremely social, always entertaining and hosting parties. He was a great dancer. He was a great listener.

My grandparents were fun people. When they were first married, they took $100 to the race track. They decided that they would bet $50 on one race, and $50 on another race. If they won, they would be able to pay a contractor to begin building their house (outside of Chicago). Good thing, they won on the second race. For you design freaks out there, my grandparents still have an Eames lounge chair in their living room and a Platner side table. So cool.

My Papa was a fun person who loved his family very much.

On his wedding day.

Love the backwards visor!

My Gammy and my Papa together.




We love you, Papa.

..

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

labonnefemme1 said...

So sorry to hear about your loss...those are some great memories!

Gina G said...

I got chocked up reading this. Your Grandpa was so special and loved you so much! These pictures are amazing. The twinkle in his eye never left him throughout his whole life! His legacy lives on through you because you have that same twinkle. Love you Kel! Can't wait to see you this weekend.

Amanda Bevington said...

Oh Kelly, we're so sorry to hear this news. Please know we're thinking of you and your family and we're wishing you all peace and joyful memories as you join together to celebrate Papa's life! Please give your family hugs from us. Amazing photos you have of him....such precious memories indeed! We love you, Amanda & Casey

The Townsend Family said...

Kelly! What amazing photos you have. I bet you have perfect frames to put them in and cherish forever. What a sweet legacy he lives through you. Hope to see you this weekend, thinking of you now and always!!! xoxo ~Jilly

Kate said...

Kelly... thank you for sharing your photos. What a beautiful way to remember your Papa. My family is sending a lot of love your way. Smooches!

Mama Kate (your long lost great grand-sis)

72 and sunny said...

i'm so sorry to hear about this. But what a handsome man and, it seems, a beautiful life he had.

Jamie said...

Your Papa seemed like a very debonair, good man. These pictures were amazing. I pray that you and your family sense God's comfort and peace during this time.

Kelly Robson said...

Thank you all so much. :)

Jennifer said...

sorry to hear of your loss. what a treasure to have those great photos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...