Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Instant Gratification: Bookcase Before & After

This "before & after" project comes from Emily at Recently.  Last week, I stumbled across her blog and my jaw dropped when I spotted this post on Emily's bookcase makeover...  Sometimes, it's the little things that can pack the biggest punch.  I just had to share it with all of you.


Inspired by this fabulous shade of blue...




Emily decided to give her bland bookcase a jolt of personality...



Rather than paint the interior, she cut foam core to size...



and painted each piece of foam core a custom shade of navy blue.
(this way, she can pop out the foam core and repaint it if she tires of the blue.  so genius!)



Check out the transformation!

and she styled it so perfectly too!


Talk about instant gratification.
 
And, I love how the foam core can pop out to be painted a new color-- although, I doubt you'll find a better shade of navy blue.  And if you're a renter?  With tough "no paint" rules in your lease?  This is the perfect DIY project!


Nice work, Emily!



...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Heather (love your space) said...

I'm totally doing this in my mom's guest room. Fun!

Houndstooth and Nail said...

Awesome idea!!! Thanks for sharing!
:)
Ingrid

Nicole said...

Love!! Eddie Ross recently did something similar by either walpapering or applying fabric to foam core in the back of a bookcase, but what I can't figure out is where to buy the foam core? I've seen smaller sheets at Micheals but I think I would need something bigger.... Any suggestions, anyone? Thanks!!

Kelly Robson said...

Nicole-- try an art supply store like, Blicks. They might have larger sheets of foam core... And, if they don't have foam core, you can always use illustration board which I know comes in large sheets! Hope this helps! Oh, and I will def check out Eddie's bookshelf makeover as well. Love him. :)

xx
Kelly

My Interior Life said...

Love Emily's makeover! She has such great style and is such a sweetie, too!

Rebecca said...

The idea to use foam-core is genius!! Thanks for sharing!!

You might also try your local custom art framing store. They might be able to supply you with the large 40" x 60" pieces made by Bainbridge or Beinfang. :)

Unknown said...

Great reminder of what a little paint can do to transform a space - great job, Emily!!!

Unknown said...

I'm kind of jealous I don't have any built ins to do this with! So beautiful

Pamela @ pbjstories.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...