Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Pillows With Turkish Corners

I've really never been a big fan of box pillows.  Or, round pillows.  Or ball-shaped pillows (by the way, what is that about?).  Me?  I like to stick with a basic square pillow, typically with a knife edge or self welt.  Down insert, invisible zipper.  It's just what I like.

But, then I saw this image on My Notting Hill.


And, I like those pillows!


Then, I remembered that Martha Stewart's Kevin Sharkey had filled his apartment TO THE BRIM with these pinch-pleated box pillows... in the living room, in the office, in the bedroom.  All in velvet, I might add.









These pinch-pleated box pillows are made with "Turkish corners."  That is the correct terminology.  What do you think of them?  Would you upgrade from a traditional knife edge for a Turkish corner?
They look pretty great in a super modern space (like Kevin's apartment)... 


...  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Laure said...

I just can't get into the look of the box pillows :-) I'm a knife edge kind of gal.

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

I've always called them Turkish corners, and I'm a big fan. They're just more "pillow-y". You can pleat them or gather them, with welt or without. I guess I just like seeing the corners filled out, and you don't always get that with a knife edge.

Kelly Robson said...

Thank you, Sally!! I that is EXACTLY what they are called. :)

xx
Kelly

RLG said...

I don't know, Kelly. They look a little forced and overinflated. Almost as if you'd bounce right off them! I like the sink-into-me look much better (knife edge, please). Fun post. xoxo

Totally OT: tv over the mantel. Yes or no?

Kelly Robson said...

Laure and Renee-- I know what you're thinking... No to the box pillow. But, they can be somewhat unexpected in a modern space, don't you think? Fabricated in a solid color, they can add a little bit of interest. Not saying that I'll abandon my tried and true knife edge, invisible zipper square pillow... but, it's something to think about.

Also Renee, TV over the mantle? That could be another blog post... But, me? I say when there's no other place for a television, you can put it over the mantle. It's just not my first pick on TV placement. However, some mantles are better suited for flat screens than others. There are issues: the tv could be mounted too high on the wall, the screen might be too large for the mantle and then out of proportion, etc etc.

xx
Kelly

katiedid said...

Turkish Corners...yup! So technically not a box pillow, but a similar look. I do like them, but generally tend towards the knife edge also. I like them in the photos you have up!

Re: the last comment about TV's above a fireplace....some TV manufacturers will void the warranty if hung over a mantle....heat can damage to TV. Plus, almost always too high for comfortable viewing. I am on board with Kelly!

Christine said...

I've never seen these before and I love them! It's a bit more unexpected than your typical pillow. I love the how it looks in the velvet too.

dianne said...

Isn't Sharkey the name of Martha's French bulldog?

What about the bed in front of the window? To me that always looks wrong and awkward.

I would rather a box pillow with welted sides than the frumpy turkish corners.

Design Junkie said...

I LOVE box pillows! And have had several made. I throw in a knife edge or two to mix it up. And as I speak, I'm having one made with 'Turkish corners'.

Tamara Matthews-Stephenson said...

love the pillows - turkish, knife pleat, box...whatever I'm a pillow junky. For awhile, I was using scraps of clients leftover fabrics and having various designs made and once a year sample sales -- what a hoot and all my friends would come out for champagne. Love all the horse-y references on your site too. Oh, and I am so very curious about that glass coffee table and whose it is? so fabulous. Best wishes, Tamara Stephenson

Rebecca Grace said...

I'm an interior designer, and I do specify Turkish corners frequently on custom throw pillows. There are quite a few variations of this technique -- the ones you're showing in this post almost look like the "faux Turkish corners" technique because the corner bulk is more gathered than pleated. This can also be done with a single stitched pleat at each corner, for the most structured and tailored Turkish corner look, or the workroom can pin in a single tuck at each corner but only stitch across at the seamline, which creates a teardrop "dimple" in the fabric at either side of the seamline and a softer effect. Which style I specify depends on the fabric weight, whether or not I'm using an in-seam pillow trim (Turkish corners look great with welt cord), and the overall look I'm going for. Right now I'm doing a contemporary nursery project for a baby boy and I specified soft Turkish corner for the chenille throw pillows in the window seat area. They will be soft and snuggly, but the Turkish corners will give them an upscale contemporary feel.

I did want to point out that knife edge pillows need not have pointy, stick-out "dog ear" corners, though. My workroom always cuts square or rectangular pillow corners so that extra fabric bulk at the corners is removed on custom pillows -- upholstery workrooms do this for cushions as well, because of the distortion any pillow or cushion creates to the shape of the fabric cover. To my eye, knife edge pillows that were cut with perfectly square corners so they "stick out" on the finished pillow look very homemade or low-end readymade.

Also, a boxed pillow is one that has three separate fabric pieces -- a top, a back, and a separate strip of fabric between the two that runs all the way around the pillow between the front and back, like a typical sofa cushion. They are VERY structured, much more so than a Turkish corner pillow, and I would never specify that for a throw pillow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...