Monday, November 23, 2009

Historic Foursquare House!

You may have noticed my previous posts about historically significant tile, and one day I blogged about claw foot tubs...  and, the fact that I have been absent for the last couple of days?

Well, I am proud to announce that we bought a house!



Our own house.  A 117 year old historic foursquare on a historic street with one whole acre of land (coming from California, this is amazing to me).  It was built in 1892 by a fancy family from Philadelphia.  It served as their summer home (since there was, and still is, a conveniently located train station in town, it was easy for the family to commute between residences).  It has a central hall, like most four square homes, and two parlors on either side (with HUGE pocket doors).  I love the old wooden floors (which are face nailed, but I can get over that) and the claw foot bathtub.

It needs a lot of love (you have no idea), but I'm thrilled and can't wait to get working.  If you are interested in renovating, ripping down walls, adding electrical, fixing windows, (bringing in central air, adding a bathroom, building a garage...) you are at the right place!  This blog may turn into a restoration play-by-play, but I'll try not to over do it.   Thank you for letting me share our good news!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Doug Davis said...

congrats, that's exciting! can't wait to see how you renovate it/ decorate it...

Junita said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful home. I'll actually be looking forward to your renovation posts :)

Anonymous said...

Very exciting. Congratulations!

Jessica said...

Congrats! I can't wait to see what you do with such a beautiful old home.

RLG said...

I think I just peed my pants! It's beautiful, Kelly. Looking forward to renovation posts. No pressure! LOL Congratulations. xoxo

MK said...

Congratulations! Looks (and sounds) gorgeous! And parlours and pocket doors are thrilling, so please do post about your reno. I for one would love to hear. tIO x

jess said...

It is gorgeous! Good luck to you with all the renovations. We bought a 1910 foursquare and gutted the whole thing too (while we lived in it!) and it was so much fun.

Can't wait to see pictures as everything progresses.

Danielle said...

Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see what you do with it! I have an old house also, with pocket doors. Love them.

Abbie said...

Congratulations!! I love doing home projects. There's nothing more satisfying than having something of your own and fixing it up!

Megan said...

Congrats, such exciting news! I'll be looking forward to following along with your projects!

Em said...

Congrats! I, for one, am excited for renovation posts from you!

Jennifer said...

so exciting! congratulations! can't wait to follow along as you bring it back to life.

Holly said...

Wow, the house is beautiful, how exciting! I'm so happy for you & Dave. Congratulations Kelly

Keely said...

Oh my goodness, that is one gorgeous home! We definitely don't have houses like that here in Los Angeles, I look forward to hearing about the restoration process!

priscilla said...

congrats! it's beautiful!

Caitlin D. said...

You guys bought THAT house, Kelly!? It's so lovely! Looking forward to lots of pictures to come. By the way, I totally love reading your posts!

Kelly Robson said...

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of your kind words!

Now, I'm off to watch my DVR episodes of This Old House. ;)

Engracia said...

congratulations and what a beautiful house it is. Looking forward to seeing renovation posts.
Cheers
Engracia

Fran said...

Beautiful house - love it. I love Philly - lived there when I was younger & went to college there! Miss it.....have fun! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

EP de Montfort Walker said...

congratulations Kelly! If you are watching This Old House this season you just might catch me on the air or at least our house. Our next door neighbors have been the TOH family this season. The wrap party was last week and the house looks amazing. For those of us who are less fortunate welcome to old house ownership it is exquisite torture! I can't wait to see all the reno stories.

Amanda Bevington said...

Oh WOW! Can't wait to see what you and Dave have in store!!! I'm SO excited for you both! Enjoy every second of your new journey!!! Create something magical together! All the best! xo, A

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, what a beautiful house! :)

Design Esquire said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting! The home is beautiful, I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! It's beautiful and I cannot wait to see the progress!

RedRedOrange said...

Congratulations! your house is beautiful, I cant wait to see the inside (if you don't mind showing it that is :)

Jenny at LGN said...

KELLY!!! What a BEAUTIFUL home!!! When can I come over and help?

Congratulations!!!

Sara said...

What a gorgeous home! I moved into my first home last year, built in 1890, so I look forward to hearing about your renovation adventures. Best of luck!

Tina said...

Wow, now THAT is a house--congrats, have fun, and rest up for all the work ahead! ;)

paula said...

congratulations! I am sure it will be amazing with all your personal touches.

Allison said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhh, I love other people's renovation! Please do put up lot's of pictures, lessons learned and etc. Congratulations and good luck with it.

Catherine said...

Hi Kelly, The house is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations on your gorgeous new home!!! How exciting!!! xoxoTrina

Anchor-Of-My-Eye said...

Congrats, Kelly! What a BEAUTIFUL home. I can't wait to see what you do with it! And I love renovation posts, so bring 'em on! :)

Kelly Robson said...

Thanks, guys! You are awesome! We will probably get started this weekend (after Thanksgiving).

TheBambinaBlog-- do you live in the neighborhood with the 1915 Dutch Colonial?? That is the current project, right? We love that one and are following it closely! I freaked when they found asbestos (how are WE going to deal with things like that?!) and the place had knob and tube wiring (sounds familiar). I love that show. ;)

Jamie Z said...

Our first house needed TLC as well, but we saw the potential. Turned out it needed more than we ever thought and I ended up doing most of the remodel myself. It was one of the most difficult things we have done as a couple but also the most rewarding. Congratulations and have so much fun!

Unknown said...

Yeah Kelly!! I am so excited for you guys. I cannot wait to come visit and soak myself in that tub!

Kay* said...

oooooh it's beautiful! i cant wait for the reno/decor posts!

Siiri said...

WOW! Congratulations, Kelly, that's really wonderful news. It looks like a beauty - one that will keep you busy fixing, then decorating and moving items around endlessly. What a great early Christmas gift! Looking forward to many posts about it in the near future.

RAENOVATE said...

Kelly! Your home is amazing! Is it in a NJ or PA suburb? I live in Haddonfield and take PATCO into the city, it's super convenient. Congratulations!

Dayka Robinson said...

OMG--renovating a home like yours would be a dream. Really beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...